People have been attempting to determine whether leadership qualities are innate or whether they are acquired over time. They say that leaders are born, not made. Others concur that they produce leaders.
Recent scientific research has suggested that leadership is 30% inherited and 70% acquired. If so, then the popular adage “Follow the person who knows the way” applies to leadership.
Consequently, mentors and role models are essential to leadership success. For many of us, they shape our aspirations for adulthood. They assist us in imagining and planning for the future.
A role model is an indirect form of education. For some, it may be a grandparent, an uncle, a cousin, the mother or father of a best friend, a teacher, or a member of the faculty.
Similarly, in the business world of today, leaders seek role models to emulate and learn from. The influence of historical figures such as Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, and others is strikingly evident in the leadership styles of the most prominent leaders of the present day.
There is no way to overstate the significance of role models. They are neither superheroes, rock stars, nor famous individuals. People who work hard to achieve their objectives and earn others’ respect are what they are. They can aid in our professional growth and development.
Consider the following regarding role models:
- Exemplars serve as a source of motivation for us. They inspire us to accomplish more than we believe is possible. Considering their accomplishments and influence, we gain the conviction that we too are capable of achieving similar results.
- They help us develop confidence in ourselves. Role models assist us in imagining what we wish to become. It provides us with the ability to persevere during challenging moments of our leadership journey.
- The influence of role models on our personalities is significant. They affect both professional and private decision-making. Their influence also allows us to develop great character.
- Mentors provide guidance. It is said that everything we desire to do is no longer novel. They encourage us to persevere, take chances, and try new things.
- Exemplars demonstrate the expectations we set for ourselves. All great individuals acknowledge having had a childhood hero.
When considering a role model, we should carefully consider the following tips:
- Select carefully. We select role models based on their exceptional performance and accomplishments. They should be of high moral and intellectual standing, having surpassed all limitations and risen to the top.
- Make them your mentor. Do you have any idea why exceptional athletes and women have coaches, despite their talents and skills? This is due to the fact that coaches inspire and motivate us to pursue a particular path.
- Possess exemplary role models. Always aim for the moon, so that even if we miss, we land among the stars. This implies that we must establish ambitious goals so that if we do not reach them, we can still achieve success. Choose individuals who are among the elite in their field.
The best way to hone your leadership skills is to learn from leaders who have come before you. Consider men like Jack Welch, Walt Disney, and Steve Jobs, who achieved dreams that most people could not even conceive of, if you are searching for excellent role models. Become the kind of leader you wish to be!
Kindly contact us if you require assistance. We help coaches get clients and give the best possible solutions that will create raving fan customers. If you are looking to grow your coaching practice let us help you now .