How many times has the fear of failure stopped you from doing what you truly desire? The fear of failure is insidious since it is largely imagined and can control you to never take action, therefore ensures failure.
Working with coaches and entrepreneurs for decades now it still amazes me how many people allow fear of failure to paralyze them. They are concerned about what others will say or think about them.
If you knew how little others think of you, you wouldn’t give it any mind at all. They are more interested in themselves than you. Always remember and never forget, other people’s opinions of you are none of your business.
According to John Maxwell, “Failure is the hallmark of success. Without failure there would be no great successes.”
It is fascinating that young children have no concept of failure. They could care less if they fail to complete a task. They attempt again. No negative thoughts or emotions are present. Above all, they continue on indefinitely.
However, it does not take long for children to develop a fear of the opinions of others. Typically, it occurs around the time they begin school. After the first day of school, we are all irrevocably altered.
Moreover, social media has made it even more devastating for not only children but also adults.
It would be very difficult to recapture the mentality of a child, but it is possible to come close. Certainly, the fear of failure need not significantly impact your life as a matter of fact you can use it to move you forward to achieve even more.
Consider these facts to overcome your fear of failure now:
- Failure is momentary – unless you give up. Failure isn’t final unless you give up. All of the most successful individuals have endured numerous failures. But they ultimately achieved success because they did not give up. Failure is a temporary state that has no significance unless you give it some.
- Failure is inevitable. You have failed countless times but still managed to survive. Look at how many times you stumbled while walking or speaking. It is all part of life.
- Successful people fail frequently. It is a significant component of how humans learn. We continue to grow from our experiences to get even better. We recognize that our strategy was unsuccessful, we make adjustments and try again.
- Failure has intellectual benefits. Every single one of your failures can serve as a learning experience. Failure increases one’s knowledge and capability. So he more failures you endure, the stronger you become.
- Others care far less about your failure than you do. A few individuals may notice your failure, but they quickly return their focus to themselves and their own obstacles.
- There is no cause for concern. Failure is permitted as often as necessary. You will quickly realize that no one relevant cares if you fail often enough.
- Imagine how wonderful it will be when you succeed. Instead of being concerned about potential failure, consider potential success. Feel enthusiastic and optimistic about taking action.
- If you have high enough expectations, you will do almost anything without fear of failure.
- Divert your thoughts. Concentrate on what you’re doing. If a negative outcome will not cause significant harm, you should disregard it. Concentrate on your actions or something constructive. Get clear on what you want and ignore everything else.
- Think about the cost of doing nothing. Taking action may be somewhat frightening, but what will occur if you do nothing? Perhaps taking a risk is considerably more alluring than staying put.
What would you do if you weren’t afraid of failing? Probably significantly more than you’re doing currently! How much has your life been limited by your fear of failure?
We have all allowed failure anxiety to influence our decisions. This fear has prevented us from trying new things and taking risks. As a result, we all live lives that are smaller than they could be because we are overly concerned with what others think.
One of the greatest things you can do for your future is to overcome your fear of failing.
You may begin today. How much more success will you experience when you just take action now? What will you do today that you’ve put off due to fear of failing? So, commit now to take action and put yourself that much closer to achieving all you desire.